A life-long fan of languages, having delved into French, Latin and Greek at school, I graduated in Modern Languages (French and Arabic) from the University of Salford. I also picked up a DELTA diploma from the University of Cambridge in teaching English as a foreign language to adults. Living and working in Poland for the last 25 or so years has given me a wealth of experience in the following areas:
1. English language teaching. I co-owned and co-directed my own language school in the Tri-City for 17 years and developed my own 'mini system' which I call 'Active Speak' that, as the name suggests, focuses on helping learners to improve their practical speaking skills. In terms of materials, I use 'authentic stuff'—i.e. news articles, current affairs topics, YouTube, TED etc. I don't use course books because they bore me (and usually the students too) to death. I give face-to-face lessons at the student's place of work/home or in a cafe, depending on logistics and preference, or online via Skype.
2. Translation. I cooperate with a variety of companies ranging from academic institutions to fashion designers and software houses. I work from Polish into English in a wide scope of topic areas. My customers like the fact that the translations are always written in a good style and do not contain the typical errors incurred by a non-native translator.
3. Proofreading and copy-editing—mainly involving work of an academic nature, though not exclusively.
4. Voice recording for educational materials and computer games.
5. Transcriptions of podcasts and webinars.
6. Job interview coaching.
7. Conducting job interviews in English as an outsourced consultant.
These are the 7 areas in which I offer services so, if you think you might be interested in one of them, please get in touch!
When I'm not working, you'll either find me in the kitchen rustling up some mainly Indian or Italian inspired vegetarian dishes, out on my bike commuting, at martial arts training (Wing Tsun) or strumming away on the old guitar.